quinta-feira, 10 de junho de 2010

SÃO PAULO

May-June 2010

I have travelled recently so I feel good. Who wouldn't? Haha.

The featured city is the largest in the Southern Hemisphere. It's also the 10th richest on the planet. The metropolitan area has an estimated population of more than 20 million and it's the sixth largest on a global scale (Metro Manila has only 12 million). Its fleet of helicopters is larger than that of any other city and it's also the largest Portuguese-speaking city in the world.

This city is home to the largest Japanese population outside Japan, the largest Syrian/Lebanese community outside Lebanon, and the largest Italian population outside Italy.

This destination is very far from the Philippines yet it's all worth it. I had so much fun. I met some nice people and made new friends. I want to go back to...

São Paulo


Brazil is one of those countries that has always fascinated me. So when I found out about good deals on Turkish Airlines flying to São Paulo, I didn't think twice and took advantage of it. This is a trip 4 years in the making.

This also means South America is my 4th visited habitable continent among 6...and yes I'm getting closer to my objective. Next targets: Africa and Australia/Oceania! Translation: I gotta save a lot for this...


Travel Information


How to get there: For Manila residents, Turkish Airlines flies from Hong Kong to São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) and back three times a week via Istanbul. From Manila, fly on any airline to get to Hong Kong . Departures from Istanbul are at 10:45AM and returns from São Paulo at 23:25PM. Total flying time from Manila to São Paulo is approximately 25 hours (doesn't include waiting time at airports). For more details, visit http://turkishairlines.com

Visa: Filipinos don't need a visa to go to Brazil for tourism purposes but have some relevant documentation handy when requested at the airport by the Federal Police agents who man the passport control. It's quick if you have the necessary documents.

Weather: Located at 2,500 feet above sea level, this Brazilian city has a humid subtropical climate and though the temperature doesn't fall below zero during the winter months (May, June, July, and August), it can get cold especially at night. Bring a jacket and boots or whatever. Paulistas dress good. Blend in with the crowd.

Currency
is Brazilian Real (.50 USD = 25 PHP = 1 BRL approximately)

Language: Portuguese
I suggest you take a Portuguese phrasebook. Your knowledge in Spanish helps but Brazilians would be happier if you at least try to say some words in Portuguese. Many Paulistas speak English (Paulistanos are the locals of the city of São Paulo while the locals of the State of of São Paulo are called Paulistas- and that includes the Paulistanos as well). If you encounter people who don't speak English (and many of them), just use your hands to communicate. But this is fun and you get to interact with them in a funny way. Generally, they are helpful despite the language barrier. Don't be afraid to ask for directions or anything. But you also have to know that the city is the most ethnically diverse in Brazil and it's not surprising if a Brazilian asks you for directions and think that you're one of them! It happened to me not 1x but 3x!

What to eat and drink: São Paulo has many excellent restaurants that will suit your taste. You can also try the mandioca, pizza, meat rolls, and the feijoada when you're there. And of course, get some caipirinha!

Where to sleep: São Paulo is a city that never sleeps but people need to sleep too. As the city is the financial centre of Brazil and the whole of South America, there's a lot of hotels around. But if you're on tight budget like me, there are several youth hostels found in pleasant neighborhoods and there are also cheap hotels. During my stay there, I was in a youth hostel in Vila Mariana and then in a cheap hotel near the Avenida Paulista which is a good starting point to explore the city. For cheap hotels have you pay for 50 BRL/night and you have your own washroom and TV. Youth hostels have dormitory-type rooms for 15 BRL. Don't worry, you won't sleep on the streets (unless maybe if you ran out of money). The cheapest option is stay with your friends (if you've got some). I travelled to other cities in the State of São Paulo and I stayed at friends' houses. The best option I might add!

What to buy: Almost anything. If you want signature items and you're loaded, hit Rua Oscar Freire. Otherwise, go to malls or street markets.

City's website: http://www.cidadedesaopaulo.com/sp/en



The Best Trip So Far


This has been the best trip I have ever been on so far. People here have a different brand hospitality and it doesn't compare with anywhere in the world I have been before (in general, I actually have good experiences in all countries I've visited so far). People are generally nice, well at least that's my observation. Nasty people are everywhere though be it in São Paulo or New York or Manila and I had some bad experiences as well. But what can I do. Shit happens, haha. But it's not enough to change the good impression I have for the Brazilians.

I know that I have found a place I will be coming back to as soon as I can and I'm excited to experience more and more the country has to offer. Too bad it's far from the Philippines but come on, if there's a will there's a way!

While I arrange the pictures and other stuff of my trip, I can't help but feel nostalgic and sometimes I can't even look at the pictures because I feel sad. But anyway, I'll go back and will see you all real soon.

Thanks to you André and Alex and your respective families for welcoming me in your homes even though it was only during the weekends but it means a lot to me. You guys are the best! I can't thank you enough. There's so much to say but this space won't be sufficient. You did your best to make my stay so special. Brazilian hospitality at its best!

Lu, thanks for driving us to Campinas and inviting me to your place to drink some maracuja (too bad I couldn't drink it all, haha).

Carol, you encouraged me to drink the caipirinha, haha. I loved it! It healed my toothache!

Saulo and Careca (Luis), I had fun and I appreciate the effort to have me enjoy nightlife in your city! We'll enjoy more of it when I'm back!

Gustavo and Leonardo, I enjoyed walking around São Paulo with you guys! And you helped me
choose the perfect sets of Havaianas! Cultured guys.

Sandro, we had a good laugh at your office together with your colleagues! Nice experience visiting a TV station.

Fabio, thanks for being patient with me even I ate slow! Haha

Fabiano, was nice of you to show me around! I enjoyed our chats about planes and stuff!

I cannot thank you enough, guys! All I can do is offer the same welcome and hospitality you showed if you ever were to visit my home...or maybe we can meet up in other parts of the world... or I'll just treat you to a hearty meal when I'm back, hehe.
































































Continuation: Photos of Campinas and Mogi Mirim, São Paulo State, Brazil

http://thy15.blogspot.com/search/label/Brazil?updated-max=2010-06-10T23%3A45%3A00%2B08%3A00&max-results=20

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Thanks for your nice comments. But You should have also travelled to Santos and Guarujá...

MSVG disse...

I thank you for the comments as well! :)

You are right. Those places are interesting too. I'll return to Brazil and will have more time to explore more places there.

There's more to write about my São Paulo experience but I still haven't published it. Currently working on it...

For older posts, please click on "Mensagens Antigas"